Sunday, November 26, 2006

Day 38 - Walden

Discoveries:
1. Libravox: public domain audio books! Fantastic. Download the mpgs and listen while you dig! I'm listening, appropriately enough, to Thoreau's Walden.
2. I need a bigger flask. More coffeeeeee! My tiny little 1.5 cup might work for a quick cycling pick me up but ain't doin' it for digging recovery.

Winter setting in and I'm finding it hard to adjust with the allotment, no more quick hour or so at the end of the day. So I have to be more disciplined at getting up out of bed early!

After 2 weekends of open studios and an art fair this coming week I've been pretty non-stop at work, so finally got back out the plot this morning after a couple weeks to check the tarps if nothing else. Got into chopping the bramble again! Had a look at the back of the plot again and decided that I need to prioritise making a path through. Otherwise my only way to the back of my plot is to go around the neighbour's. We're supposed to maintain a path between each one so he and I would have to clear up a path eventually anyway. So I'm hacking away at the right hand side for a narrow pass at least. Hard to see really, so I've made a circle around it. I did chop back about another metre today.

Also starting clearing a bit at the back where some trees are being strangled by bramble and some very odd thick and woody type of vine thing, fortunately it seems to be mostly dead. Again, hard to see in the picture but there's quite a few little trees in there. Not sure if I should keep them or not, so if you know what these are let me know if they're going to be an allotment menace in the future? (you can click the picture to see a larger version)


And finally, there's been lots of pics of the plot from the front vantage so I though I'd give you a longways view now that neighbour has chopped all his bramble so you can see it from the other path. So the metal water butt is basically the close side of my plot which then goes back to the bramble behind. Lengthwise, this isn't quite half of my space - the other half continues the solid bramble you can see on the right hand side. Bah. (again, click the piccie for larger view!)

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your plot is really coming along. I reminded me of the hard slog over a couple of years when I first started mine - and the hard slog still ongoing to improve it.

Looking forward to seeing it develop next year

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home